Even though virtual training and online coaching are terms often used interchangeably, these two differ fundamentally.
This article will discuss everything related to virtual training and coaching to help you understand the differences. Also, it will help you choose the one that works best for you.
So, if you are ready, let's start!
The following article covers:
Well, let's start with virtual training.
It is a training program hosted online instead of in-person/face-to-face. The virtual trainer can host training via LMS platforms, video conferencing tools, etc.
The virtual world allows trainers to deliver top-notch training using various online tools. It is a more wholesome form of eLearning.
Fors and againsts
There are many benefits and drawbacks in the world of virtual training, so let's take a look at the main ones.
- Cost-effective form of learning both for students and instructors. As an instructor, you will save money on rent, transportation, and equipment.
- Accessibility & flexibility. With virtual training, you can build your schedules and work whenever you want to from anywhere you want to. Plus, this training makes learning accessible for everyone. Therefore you can get access to international audiences.
- Huge income potential. Due to high demand, with the utilization of the right marketing strategies & tools, your virtual training business can scale quickly.
- Develops technical skills
- Time Zones. Even though virtual training provides you with time flexibility, it also has another side to it when it comes to a worldwide audience. There may be scheduling issues due to time zones. Yet, creating a working schedule is always possible; it wholly depends on you.
- Distractions. Virtual training can be accessed from anywhere, from cafes to homes. Therefore, the participants are more prone to distractions than in a traditional environment specifically designed for learning. However, the solution is to keep them engaged and incorporate various gamification techniques into the training.
- Relationship building can be harder without in-person interaction. However, gamification, icebreakers, and various techniques can help you out.
No matter which form of eLearning you choose, there will always be certain drawbacks. The vital thing to keep in mind is that those, in most cases, are easily fixable.
When to use it?
When can you use online training?
If you want to become a virtual trainer, this is the right time. Currently, the demand for trainers grows as more people prefer informal online learning over formal & academic environments.
Plus, as a virtual trainer with the wide availability of tools & good LMS platforms, you can open an online training business. If you do so, you will be in control over your time & finances, entirely saying no to 9 to 5 boring jobs.
What kind of virtual trainer can I be? Well, for instance, you can be a:
- Virtual fitness trainers conduct fitness training and help participants to achieve their goals
- Online IT Sales trainer that provides useful insights and details into IT Sales trends & principles
- Online Resilience Building Trainer
- And so on
You can become an online trainer on the subject you are interested in and have expertise in.
What skills do you need?
However, to become a successful trainer, you must be equipped with certain skills. For instance, you can invest in your education and get training for trainers. Throughout that type, you will learn various frameworks and methodologies you can further implement into your programs, making them far more efficient.
Plus, many of these programs provide certificates that will make you a certified trainer.
Well, we reviewed the main aspects related to online training. It is just the right time to review everything related to online coaching.
Online coaching is the same as traditional coaching, with one major difference it is held online. Coaching is a process of improvement of a particular aspect of life or personal performance and primarily focuses on the here and now.
Fors and againsts
Let’s also revise the main fors and againsts of online coaching.
- Low investment requirement. You do not need to rent out a space or technology to start an online coaching business.
- Location flexibility. Do you want to work from home? Cafe? Maybe near the pool or even another country? Well, you are free to do so.
- Scalability. With the right marketing tactics, online coaching is a scalable business that enjoys high demand in the market.
- Time flexibility allows you to work anytime, saying no to 9 to 5 jobs.
- Access to an international audience
- Time investments in website content & lead generation
- Time Zone differences
- Possible technical issues
When to use it?
You can become certified and start your online coaching business by choosing the right platform.
If you genuinely love being a coach (lifestyle, career, health, etc.) and guiding others toward success gives you a sense of purpose and self-fulfillment, then online coaching is an obvious choice.
There is no best time to start rather than now. Stop waiting and start taking action.
What skills do you need?
In order to succeed in coaching, you must have certain skills that will help you.
Here are the main ones you need as an online coach:
- Listening. The most important coaching skill is being able to listen. Listening is not just about hearing what the other person says but understanding what they are trying to say.
- Communication & Social skills. As a coach, you will need good communication skills to build up the trust factor and truly help your client achieve the desired results.
- Questioning. A good coach must know how to ask the right questions. A pro tip is to avoid close-ended questions.
Also, check out the Top 10 Coaching Frameworks to learn more about coaching. You will get acquainted with the must-have skills of coaches as well as effective frameworks to implement.
How virtual training & online coaching differ
The major difference between coaching and training is that:
- Coaching focuses on guidance and aims to help individuals find solutions and answers on their own. It equips individuals with better self-awareness and also aims at long-term behavioral change.
- Training is more direct and experience-based; it is not as individual-centric as coaching and aims at teaching a certain set of skills.
What to consider before choosing?
Before you choose virtual coaching or training, consider several aspects.
First of all, what are you more comfortable doing? Do you want to deliver professional training that equips people with practical skills? Or do you prefer to be a coach who guides individuals in their journey, helping them to find answers on their own through the right questions?
What gives you a better sense of fulfillment? What do you personally care about?
You do not have to choose, as it is possible to do both.
Is it possible to start both in one place?
Well, essentially, you do not even have to choose one and can do both if you want to.
Luckily we have a platform that allows you to enjoy the benefits of both worlds. Uteach is an incredible online automation and LMS platform that will allow you to:
- Build & easily customize the potent-looking website for your online coaching/training business
- SEO optimizes website content to rank higher in SERPs as well as have a blog to share your experience & case studies with the audience
- Sell both digital and physical products
- Host end-to-end live sessions
- Utilize the power of integrations
- Enjoy the power of automation in routine tasks to save time and increase RIO rates.
This platform allows you to monetize your knowledge, whether you are an online course creator or a certified professional coach.
With Uteach, you can confidently build a business and plan on further expansion.