Art courses focus on studying, appreciating, and practicing visual arts.
These courses cover design theory, drawing, painting, sculpture, photography, and others.
The following article covers:
Benefits of art courses
Art courses offer uncountable benefits both for the students and you. The main benefits are as follows.
- developing creative thinking skills and problem-solving abilities
- increasing artistic knowledge and appreciation.
- enhancing self-expression, communication, and confidence levels.
- opening up career opportunities in the field of art or related fields
- allowing for an opportunity to explore various cultures
- providing stress relief and relaxation when dealing with difficult personal situations
The market for art courses
The first step when starting up art courses is market research. Let’s see what market demand and competition in this field can tell us.
Art is a form of creative expression. It’s hard to find a person who doesn’t show the slightest interest in it. Skills this course provides help in a personal and professional setting.
No matter the time, art courses will always be appreciated. Many people even see it as a part of their lifelong learning.
The results will be the following if we represent all these in numbers.
- “art courses” → 10,000 -100,000 search results
- “online art courses” → 10-100 search results
The average monthly searches are another indicator of how popular art courses are.
Where there is demand, there is competition.
Art includes other aspects such as photography, digital arts, architecture, theater, film, music, etc. So, sometimes it may be hard to decide who your competitors are even if you offer courses on the same topics. Whichever you want to put focus on, you will indeed find competitors in the market.
To survive in this ever-going competition, you will have to find your unique selling point. Search engine optimization details can help you with that.
The competition level for the main keyword, “online art courses,” is marked as high. This shows how much effort it will take you to win the search engine results pages. The chart below also indicates that advertisers tend to pay a high price to make their content more visible on SERP.
Art course challenges
Offering art courses also comes with particular challenges. However, your creative mind will help you to overcome them.
- Time Constraints. Completing a piece of art often takes longer than completing other assignments. It is due to the amount of detail and work involved. So, consider this when giving assignments to students.
- Mastery Level. Art courses require advanced creativity and technical skill to excel in them.
- Critiquing Work. Being open to constructive criticism and critiques is an integral part of growth. However, some students may not agree with your criticism.
Can art courses be online?
Yes, art courses can be taken online.
Especially when it concerns digital or virtual arts, the online format can be more effective. Some art materials are hard to access in a physical setting. In an online setting, students can access the same materials more easily.
Due to their flexibility, online art courses have become a favorite for millions of people around the globe.
Being an online art course trainer comes with responsibilities. They include the following.
- Developing course content that is engaging for the audience.
- Establishing learning objectives and outcomes for the art course.
- Creating activities and assessments to evaluate student understanding of concepts taught.
- Utilizing a variety of teaching methods
- Keeping up-to-date on trends in art instruction
- Monitoring student progress throughout the course
5 steps to create an online art course
You can create your first art course by following these simple steps.
Map out the process
Planning is an inseparable part of any process. Thoroughly developed strategy and well-conducted research contribute to the success of the course.
Decide what materials and resources you will need on your journey. Later, refer to planning the creation process itself.
- Define the learning outcomes. This is what you want the students to achieve. The results should be specific, measurable, and achievable.
- Identify your target audience. Analyze the knowledge, skills, and learning preferences of your audience.
- Create a timeline. Develop a timeline that outlines the key milestones. Setting deadlines will help you to complete each phase of course creation successfully.
Choose the platform
A well-designed platform is what will help to sell the course. It facilitates the delivery of educational content. Here is what to consider when looking for a platform.
- Your personal needs. Determine the specific requirements you have for delivering art course content. See if it also aligns with your student's needs.
- User-friendliness. Choose a platform with an intuitive interface. It will be easy to use for you and the students.
- Course management tool. Make sure it has robust tools. This way, the course creation, and uploading process will not be a fuss.
- Price. Consider the platform’s pricing structure. Look for a platform that offers flexible pricing options and a free trial period.
Take time to design the content
Finally, we have come to the central part of the process.
To be sure you never miss anything, start by outlining topics and objectives. Next, plan what materials (additional video, image, tools, quizzes, assignments) you will include in each module.
Create content with a variety of tools and techniques. Once you are done, start reviewing. To ensure it is clear and concise, go through the modules and refine them.
You can test the content with a small group of learners. Then, get feedback and make the necessary adjustments.
Start recording and editing lessons
It is time to record the courses.
Start by choosing the equipment. You will need a laptop, a reliable internet connection, a microphone, and a webcam. You can use your smartphone camera if it is of high quality.
Next, choose the recording software. There are both free and paid versions of online tools available. They include screen recording and audio recording options.
Set up the equipment and begin recording the content. Make sure to speak clearly and concisely. Remember to add visual aids, slides, or diagrams to enhance the content.
Consider recording in a room where there is little background noise. You can also add captions to make it more accessible.
Promote before launch
This is the last step before you actually launch the course. You can create promotional materials, such as flyers, podcasts, banners, etc. Another option is reaching out to potential students through social media channels and emails.
If you are looking for other ways of promotion, consider aid advertising. Platforms, such as Google Adwords, Facebook Ads, and LinkedIn Ads, to find your ideal learners. This way, you will be able to increase traffic to the course.
Referral marketing would be an excellent way for promotion. Encourage your existing learners to refer their friends and colleagues to your course. In return, you can offer incentives, such as discounts or free content.
Needed skills for art courses
The primary skills a successful art course creator should have, include the following.
- Creative problem solving
- Critical thinking
- Interpersonal communication
- Drawing and illustration techniques
- Color theory and application
- Experience designing with a variety of materials
- Proficiency in digital art tools
FAQ about art courses
Aren’t you still sure whether it is worth taking up the work? The questions and answers section will help you with that.
Can I create art courses with minimum investments?
Yes, you can feasibly create art courses with the most minor investments.
You don't have to invest in expensive equipment or materials. All you need is a computer, an internet connection, and creative ideas.
And most importantly, you need to plan the budget carefully. Smart investments come from smart planning.
Do I need certification for creating art courses?
Having a special certification to create an art course is not compulsory.
However, getting one will add validity to your course. They will help you stand out as a qualified and knowledgeable instructor in the field.
If you haven’t got one yet, do not worry. You can always participate in courses, training, webinars, or seminars and deepen your knowledge further.
How much does it cost to create art courses?
The costs it takes to create art courses depend on several factors.
- The resources you currently possess
- Specific supplies you may need for the course
- The complexity of the course
- The resources needed to promote the course
First, count what you will need to invest in. Do you need new equipment such as a laptop, a mic, or a webcam? Do you want to invest in marketing and promotion?
As you have everything mapped out, you can see it takes a minimum of $1200-$1340 to start an art course.
How much can I earn by selling art courses?
The amount you can earn from selling art courses varies from business to business.
It mostly depends on how much you charge and how much value you offer.
Let’s assume you charge an average of $500 for the course. Fifty students enrolled in the course. That means you earned $25,000 in revenue from your first course.
Imagine you also offer another course or more students enrolled in the first course. In this case, you can make more than $43,700 from the course.
How to measure art course effectiveness?
To measure the effectiveness of your art course, you can look at things like
- Completion rates. Analyze how many students complete the course. If the rates are low, you will need to make improvements.
- Customer reviews and feedback. The power of feedback is really great. You can use surveys to see what students think about the course. Later, you can refer to it and make further improvements.
- Student engagement. See how actively students participate in the sessions.
You can also consider how often students are enrolling in additional courses after completing the first one.
As you understand how efficient the course was, you will be able to identify gaps and make improvements.
How long does it take to create art courses?
The length of time it takes to create art courses depends on several factors, such as
- the complexity of the material being taught
- the amount of time invested in creating the curriculum
- your experience as an art instructor
Mapping out the process will take a considerable amount of time. So you can dedicate the first few weeks plainly to planning. Later, you can come to creating content. This will also take a few weeks. As the pre-launched process is also over, be ready to launch the course.
So, it will take from 3 to 5 months to create a high-level art course.
Monetize Your Skills Online
Take your first step toward success with Uteach!
Imagine getting your professional website done faster than light travels from the Sun to the Earth. With Uteach, you can automate many processes.
As a result, you will be able to dedicate MORE time to creating & selling whatever you want: courses, products, coaching, training, and webinars. Triple your income with bundles and memberships.
You can access special features such as a website & course builder, built-in SEO, live functionality, fully-automated coaching, integrations, and even your local payment gateway.
Many online learners are waiting for you to light their way. So, stop hesitating and start right away!
We'll set up your website for free
Uteach cares about YOUR success