A chess course is an organized program of instruction designed to teach chess strategies, tactics, and endgame techniques.
Some courses may be targeted at particular levels of play (beginner, intermediate, or advanced),while others may be more general.
The following article covers:
Benefits of chess courses
How can an online chess course benefit you and your learners?
- Improves problem-solving skills. Chess courses teach students to think logically and strategize in advance. As a result, they are able to calculate the possible outcomes of their decisions.
- Increases focus and concentration. Students must stay sharp and be able to analyze the board from multiple angles.
- Enhances memory recall. Players must remember the pieces’ positions and consider the opponent’s moves. All of this strengthens memory recall abilities.
- Teaches patience and discipline. As chess is a strategy game, players must plan out long-term objectives.
The market for chess courses
Researching market demand and competition will help you figure out where and how to concentrate your efforts.
Chess is a complex and intellectually stimulating game. Many people are drawn to it because it helps develop critical thinking skills. It is inexpensive to learn and can be played anywhere.
The transferable skills chess offers can be applied to other aspects of life. These skills are also a “must-have” when looking for jobs. These are only a few of the reasons chess courses have high demand.
Average monthly searches for the main keywords you will rank for are the following:
- “chess courses” → 1000 -10,000 search results
- “online chess courses” → 100-1000 search results
This means 1000-10,000 people search for chess courses every month!
The market for chess courses is really huge. This leads to a competitive environment as more and more instructors enter the market.
The rise of online marketplaces for education has also increased competition. Online platforms made it easier for everyone to create and sell courses. As a result, the market became more crowded.
Let’s also analyze the competition in terms of SEO. The difficulty for our target keywords is High. This means you must put great effort into ranking for them.
However, you can overcome the challenge. You need to develop unique, high-quality courses to stand out.
Chess courses challenges
As in chess, it would be advisable to plan the challenges ahead to overcome them.
- Keeping student interest and motivation over the long-term course duration
- Ensuring adequate instruction for all levels of players
- Incorporating new strategies and tactics for experienced players
- Developing courses that focus on both the tactical and strategic elements
- Encouraging students to practice regularly between classes
- Monitoring students' progress throughout the course
Can chess courses be online?
Of course, chess courses can be conducted online.
The rise of online teaching platforms made creating and selling courses possible. So, online chess courses can be delivered in a variety of formats. For example, pre-recorded video lessons, live video conferences, online forums, etc.
Students get the opportunity to access your courses wherever they are. Besides, online chess courses are more affordable than in-person ones.
The following list includes your primary responsibilities as an online chess instructor.
- Developing lesson plans and materials to develop chess-related skills.
- Teaching students the fundamentals of chess, including rules, strategies, and tactics.
- Keeping up to date with new developments in the chess world
- Providing individual feedback to students on their performance.
- Utilizing technology such as online platforms or apps to enhance the learning experience.
8 steps to create online chess courses
The steps of launching a chess course are simpler than it seems. It may take dedication and hard work. However, in the end, it’s worth it.
Research on the target audience
Before creating your course, you need to know who your target audience is. Consider the age, skill level, and interests of your potential students. This will help you tailor your course to their needs and preferences.
Chess learners can be of different ages and different backgrounds. So, consider
- Their level of experience with chess
- What they would like to learn
- How they want to learn (learning styles)
To identify who your target audience is, you can
- Conduct market research
- Analyze social media trends
- Review competitors’ offerings
Choose the format
The choice of format depends on your target audience and teaching style. You can consider the following formats.
- Pre-recorder videos
- Live video conferences
- Interactive quizzes
- The combination of all these
Each format has its advantages and disadvantages. For example, pre-recorded videos may be convenient for students. They can learn at their own pace. On the other hand, live conferences allow more interaction and personalized feedback.
Try and see what best works for your learners.
Create an outline
Your course outline is a detailed roadmap of what you plan to cover in your course.
It should include all the topics you want to cover, the order in which you will cover them, and the objectives for each lesson.
Consider breaking your course into modules or units, and include quizzes or assignments at the end of each unit. This way, you can test student understanding.
Develop course content
This is where you start creating content for your course.
Depending on your format, you may need to create video lessons, quizzes, assignments, and written materials. Make sure your content is engaging and easy to understand. Use examples and analogies to help explain more complex topics.
If you are creating video lessons, invest in a good-quality microphone and camera to improve the quality of your videos.
Before recording, set up your workspace with good lighting and a clear background.
- Position your camera and microphone to ensure that your face and voice are clear.
- Remove any background distractions or clutter from your workspace.
Consider using screen recording software to record your lessons. After recording, edit your videos to add any additional graphics, subtitles, or annotations.
Choose an online platform
Choose an online platform that best suits your needs and budget.
Consider the features each platform offers, such as
- payment processing,
- student management
Look for a platform with the tools you need to create and sell your chess course successfully.
Consider the platform's marketing and promotion capabilities. Choose a platform that offers marketing tools to help you reach a wider audience.
Promote the course
Once you have everything set up and ready to go, start promoting your online chess course!
You can do this by
- creating social media posts
- making ads campaigns
- sharing it on forums dedicated to chess players
- reaching out directly to potential students who might be interested
Another option can be creating a referral program. This way, you can encourage the students to share the course with others.
Monitor and update the course
By continuously improving your course, you can attract more students and build a loyal following.
For this specific purpose, pay attention to student feedback.
Use this feedback to make improvements and updates to your course.
Needed skills for chess courses
The list of “must-have” skills for online chess instructors include:
- Technical expertise in the game of chess (e.g. knowledge and understanding of chess rules, strategies, and tactics)
- Experience teaching or coaching the game of chess
- Knowledge of online course design and delivery tools (e.g. video conferencing software, video/audio recording tools, etc.)
- Ability to create engaging materials such as lesson plans and activities
FAQ about chess courses
The Q&A section below will help you better understand whether offering chess courses is for you.
Can I start the chess courses with minimum investments?
Yes, you can start chess courses with minimum investments.
Online teaching platforms offer many ways to start a course with the least costs. There are also platforms automating most of your tasks. So you will not have to invest much time.
As for the money, smartly plan your budget. In this case, you can launch the chess course without spending too much.
Do I need certification to create chess courses?
Generally, you do not need a certification to start chess courses.
Having a strong understanding of the game and effective teaching techniques is more important.
However, certification can help to build trust with your prospects. You may consider getting endorsements or testimonials from your previous students. Another option is to showcase your qualifications.
Attending a training program and obtaining a certification in chess instruction may be worthwhile.
How much does it cost to create chess courses?
The cost of creating chess courses will depend on the type and format of the course you are looking to develop.
To understand the costs of launching chess courses, you will first need to understand the investments.
- Do you plan to get a certification or invest in your knowledge as an online instructor?
Be ready to spend $650 on average.
- Do you need new equipment? Add $1200 for a laptop, a microphone, and a webcam.
- Do you plan to invest in marketing? Allocate $150-$200 for that.
As you can see, starting your online chess school takes an average of $1250. Remember that this number varies from individual to individual.
How much can I earn by selling chess courses?
The amount of money you can earn by selling chess courses will depend on
- the type of courses you offer,
- the prices you charge,
- how many people you are able to reach
- other factors
You can set a lesson length and decide on the cost. For example, $15 for 30 minutes, and $22.50 for 45 minutes, etc.
This way, you can earn about $75,540 by selling chess courses.
Ultimately, it is up to you to create a business model that generates profits.
How to measure chess course effectiveness?
Measuring the effectiveness of a chess course can be done in several ways.
- One way is to measure the improvement in the student's skill levels after completing the course. This can be done by comparing pre-and post-tests. You can also track individual student progress through rating systems like those used in tournaments.
- Another way is to track how well students are able to apply their knowledge of chess principles in practice games. Observing how students use what they have learned can provide valuable insight into the teaching methods' effectiveness.
- Finally, feedback from students can provide valuable insights into its effectiveness. Surveys and interviews with former students allow you to assess what works well.
How long does it take to create chess courses?
The time it takes to develop chess courses depends on your experience and many other factors.
For beginner-level courses, content preparation and organization could take as little as a few days. More advanced courses may require more time for research and development.
Another few weeks will be dedicated to recording the courses. Later, we will come to the pre-launch process.
So, it can take from two to three months to create a medium-level chess course.
Monetize Your Skills Online
Take your first step toward success with Uteach!
Imagine getting your professional website done faster than light travels from the Sun to the Earth. With Uteach, you can automate many processes.
As a result, you will be able to dedicate MORE time to creating & selling whatever you want: courses, products, coaching, training, and webinars. Triple your income with bundles and memberships.
You can access special features such as a website & course builder, built-in SEO, live functionality, fully-automated coaching, integrations, and even your local payment gateway.
Many online learners are waiting for you to light their way. So, stop hesitating and start right away!
We'll set up your website for free
Uteach cares about YOUR success