Are you struggling and desperately trying to find your niche in coaching? I believe this article is meant for you!
Coaching is extremely popular nowadays. For clients and companies, it is because it brings results and contributes to huge change, and for people like YOU, it is because the industry is highly on-demand.
So what exactly is coaching, and what niches and types are there? We will take a look at everything in detail in this article.
The following article covers:
Why choose a specific coaching niche?
First of all, we are going to start off with the definitions.
Coaching is the process of guiding people towards the achievement of their personal or professional goals. Throughout this process, you “do not tell” them what to do, you guide them through using pacific techniques and asking questions, so they come up with solutions on their own. Coaching can greatly transform & impact one’s life.
However, coaching is a broad concept; there are various industries and niches in coaching. If you want to be a true expert that enjoys high demand, you better choose a specific niche to focus on.
Let’s take a look at the main reasons why choosing a specific coaching niche is even important.
- Focus. When you are focused on a specific niche, you will be able to direct your energy & potential towards it, growing as a coach alongside.
- Less competition. Due to choosing one niche, you will be facing competition only from that. However, a PRO TIP here for you, view your competition as a networking opportunity. Get acquainted with various coaches from your niche because they may redirect some clients to you when they do not have enough space. Plus, they can increase your brand awareness as a coach and share a few methods they use for marketing or coaching.
- Better marketing. Marketing is all about selling and communicating a specific message. If you are everywhere and offer everything, then what is your message? E.g., suppose you are a dating coach. In that case, you can easily revolve your marketing strategy around improving the client’s dating life, using headlines such as “Get into a perfect relationship,” etc. So, by choosing a niche, it will be easier to market yourself and communicate a specific message to the customers.
Life Coaching is a process that a life coach (wellness professional) implements to transform someone’s life according to their goals. Basically, life coaches help to make progress, achieve desired professional and personal goals, and generally improve the self-fulfillment levels of the coachee.
Throughout the life coaching training, the life coach:
- Helps to identify or clarify goals
- Understand the root of the issues and break the circles of bad habits, events, etc.
- Guides clients toward finding the solutions to overcome obstacles that hold them back
- Ensures that they teach the client how to fish and not give them the fish because when you teach them how to, it will transform their long-term lives
A life coach will also contribute to the client’s better work-life balance, eliminate fears and anxieties and trigger the client’s creativity. Most importantly, a huge amount of work will be done in working with the client’s subconsciousness and mindset change.
The difference between life coaching and therapy is that life coaches cannot treat mental health conditions. Also, a life coach does not need formal education or a degree to be one. However, it is vital to be a professional as you are going to work with people and their lives. So, first of all, get educated on coaching methodologies, choose your niche and practice a lot.
The client comes to you with a problem needing resolution or with a goal/goals needing fulfillment. For example, they want to be happier and accomplish all of their ten goals. What you need to do is first of all listen, then ask guiding questions to understand the root of the issues that hold them back from the achievement of desired results. Also, as a life coach, you need to look at their goals, identify new ones, and clarify existing ones.
For clarification, you can use the SMART goal technique.
Clients coming to you is their first step towards transformation, which can be the hardest to accomplish. So ensure to build a trustful relationship and guide them towards change.
Health coaching is a process through which health coaches help clients to change certain behaviors and implement habits that positively affect their physical health. There are six main areas that this type of coaching usually addresses, including bad habits (e.g., smoking, drinking), stress, sleep, nutrition, activity, and time management.
When any of these areas are lacking, it automatically affects our health. In this era, when people started to value well-being and physical health, health coaching became quite a popular niche in coaching.
So, if you are interested in this niche, then it is your time to learn all the basics and start improving people’s health & lives.
The client comes to a health coach with an intention to improve their health. You need to question them to identify the main problem areas, set goals, and develop an individual plan to help them improve this aspect of their lives.
Health coaching training usually lasts around 3-6 months, and throughout this time, as a health coach, you have to check up on your clients throughout the day regularly.
Business coaching teaches people how to do business. Whether they want to establish a new one or expand the existing one, a business coach will teach them how to do so. How do business coaches do that?
- They help clients to identify goals they have, both short and long-term ones.
- They work on goals making them more specific, realistic, and measurable
- Business coaches help clients to have a clearer vision for the future and be able to see the big picture
Business coaching is quite common among business owners who wish to advance their companies, and this niche of coaching continues to grow and evolve due to high demand.
Also, business coaches work on a network of the client, introduce them to potential stakeholders, and showcase to the client various strategies they can implement to overcome an issue and achieve an objective.
If you choose business coaching as your niche, remember that you are not an advisor or consultant. You are a coach who guides. In order to be able to bring efficient results and fulfill all the requirements and expectations of the client, you have to have significant expertise in this niche. You will guide clients throughout their way, help them build a clear vision, set goals & intentions, and empower & motivate them so that you together are able to bring the business to the next level.
A business owner came to you with an intention to expand the business to the international market. The intention is clear. The goal is not. First of all, you will have to work on making the goal specific and measurable, e.g. what country is first on the list, what is the objective in terms of profits in a span of a year, etc.
Then remember that you are not simply a cheerleader; you have to have professional skills and expertise alongside a network to introduce your client to and help them to really grow. Alongside teaching them communication, networking, and listening skills.
Listen to the client identify potential or existing quandaries, help to resolve those, and come up with efficient solutions. Then analyze the overall situation of the business, identifying what aspects have to be improved and in which ways to expand the business and will bring a return on investment to the international market.
So, basically, clients come to you with an intention; you turn it into a goal, identify obstacles come up with strategies, and stick with the client throughout the way.
Fitness coaching is a personal fitness training that aims to empower individuals, help them reach their fitness and body goals, as well as become more fit, self-confident and healthier. The main goals of fitness coaching include:
- Increasing clients’ energy levels for physical and mental activities
- Motivating clients to live healthier
- Managing stress levels
- Improve the clients’ self-confidence and self-esteem levels
As a fitness coach, you should encourage realistic expectations, help clients understand whether they are ready for changes, and assist them in taking responsibility.
A client came to you with the goal to lose 20 kg in a month. As a coach, you should help them set realistic expectations and explain that it is almost never possible in a month, especially if they want to stay healthy. Then you have to set clear short and long-term goals. Also, understand whether or not the client is ready to transform their lives.
Then, guide them throughout the process, and create an individual plan to help them reach the goal. And do not forget to work on their mindset to motivate and push them forward.
Financial coaching is one-on-one sessions with the clients to help them improve their financial management and money situation and change certain financial behaviors. You do not have to be a banking expert or have a finance degree to become a financial coach. However, training coaches in this niche would greatly help you improve your skills.
The finance coach aims to:
- Develop and encourage positive financial behavior in the client in long-term
- Guide the client towards the achievement of financial goals that they have set
- Provide clients with the tools and equip them with the skills and knowledge that will help them throughout their lifetime
Financial coaching is basically a niche focused on the improvement of the financial situation of the client. It also includes all the other regular activities of coaching, including identification & clarification of goals, personal plan development, and progress monitoring & measurement.
The client comes to you usually with an intention to improve their relationship with money in general. They may or may not have specific goals in mind. The work should start by getting acquainted and asking questions such as “What are their struggles? Why do they want to improve their finances? And so on.”
Then you should take a look at their goals, clarify them if necessary, or set new ones. Afterward, coach them to achieve desired results by implementing various methods and tactics.
One of the most in-demand coaching niches is career coaching. We all want to be successful and make lots of money, but how to do so in this competitive industry? Well, people understand how much coaches can help them to transfer their lives. Therefore, carer coaching is in demand as it concerns professional and financial development.
Career coaching, as you understand from the name, is the process of coaching throughout which the coach works with the client to achieve career advancements (that can be a promotion, starting off at a new place/company, or even changing career paths).
What does a career Coach do?
- Helps coachees to identify their “selling points” in professional life
- Works with coachees to establish clear objectives and achieve them in a specific period of time
- Motivates clients to move forward
- Helps to sharpen interviewing and communication skills
Once you have identified the client's selling points, you can help them to research a career employer that is a good fit for their skills and interests.
The client wants to find a job in a new company that pays better than his current company. They hire you as a career coach; through effective questioning, you should identify their selling points and those that can also drive employers away. Then you can look through their CV and edit them together. Afterward, develop a plan for goal achievement, and throughout the sessions, work on the client’s self-esteem and interviewing skills.
One of the most common niches in coaching is Dating coaching. In this messed-up century where everyone is obsessed with careers, we have almost no time to dedicate to our personal life. However, we all, from time to time, feel quite lonely and wish to change this aspect and have the perfect partner that will support us.
Well, dating coaching is on-demand and helps a lot. It basically aims to cut off the distraction and help the client to focus on the right people, events, and opportunities that eventually will lead to happy relationships.
A dating coach aims to help clients to:
- Eliminate distractions to be able to focus on the right people
- Understand oneself better and improve self-esteem levels
- Suggests places where the client can meet new people
- Helps client to practice self-love
- Assist the client in understanding the right qualities to look for in the partner
- Improvement of the current relationship
A single person struggling to build long-term relationships came to you as a dating coach. So you should analyze and evaluate them as a person, their good and bad traits, to be able to help them grow and evolve, which through change will attract the right people allowing them to build long-term relationships.
It is quite obvious from the name basically leadership coaching aims to improve the leadership abilities of coachees. Usually, people taking leadership coaching sessions want to biome better leaders, look for improvement of managerial skills, maybe for promotion, or just for themselves. Whatever is or is not the purpose, your goal as a leadership coach is to:
- Develop skills of individuals to help them be more efficient
- Leverage clients’ leadership skills
- Provide coachees with honest feedback that will help them to improve furtherly
- Implement various motivational techniques to keep the clients going
Someone who just got promoted to a manager position came to you as a leadership coach because they are facing some troubles. Some employees consider them overly harsh; others tend to ignore them. In this case, you have to ask them the right questions in order to get to the root of the problem within the client. Then help the client identify how they can effectively manage the workforce, maybe through implementing individual-centric approaches, etc.
Basically, you need to guide the client, so they can find the obstacle, then find a solution and come up with a practical resolution strategy. You should also develop leadership, innovation, creativity, and other skills that good leaders have.
An executive coach will work one-on-one with a manager. The purpose of executive coaching is to provide clients with the tools and resources they need to grow personally and professionally. Executive coaching focuses on behavior change that will lead to more productive and resourceful results.
Executive coaching minds resolving workplace issues.
Clients expect to find a resolution to certain work-related issues when they come to you. As an executive coach, you should analyze and evaluate them alongside the roots of their problems and guide them towards finding the right solutions. Also, you should identify, pinpoint, and guide them towards a change in certain behavioral patterns.
Skills That Every Coach Needs
Also, keep in mind that no matter what kind of coach you are, there are skills that every coach needs to have. Now we are going to look at those:
- Active Listening - if you do not listen to your clients, you cannot get to the root of the issues. Ensure that you pay attention to what they are saying, how they are saying and what emotions it brings out in them. To become a good listener, you can take notes about what they are talking about.
- Giving feedback that pushes them forward positively motivates them. Do not criticize them but give them motivating and guiding feedback.
- Ask effective questions. You cannot teach the client how to fish without asking powerful questions. So, learn the most efficient ones, and know when to ask.
- Effective goal setting. Also, as a coach, you have to set goals with your clients efficiently, and for the development program, you created for them.
- Motivate people. As a coach, it is vital to motivate your coachees and push them forward toward achieving desired results. There are various motivation theories, styles, and methods, and ensure to study and use them in practice correctly. Keep in mind that each coachee is different, and what works for one may not work for another. That is why an individual-centric approach to coaching is important.
Coaches are interested in what they do, and they wholeheartedly love their profession. If you are going to feel anxious about it, then it is not really your thing. Simply consider monetization of your knowledge through online courses. You are going to work with people as a coach so ensure that you love your profession and are committed to it.
Benefits of virtual coaching
Now, let’s take a look at the main benefits of virtual coaching. Indeed, they will motivate you to choose your niche and become a great virtual coach.
So, the main benefits are:
- On-demand. Virtual coaching is incredibly on-demand; every niche and industry is. No matter what you choose, you will be able to find your audience and clients if you provide quality.
- Communities. There are great communities of virtual coaches, so you can join them, expand your networking and learn about new industry trends together.
- Virtual coaching requires low starting capital but, at the same time, provides you with an incredible opportunity to monetize what you love doing.
- No location limits. You basically get access to an international audience and are not tied up to your city or neighborhood.
Would you start online coaching?
It is time for you to start coaching! If you live this profession, if you love the idea of transforming others’ lives and making them better, then coaching is what will help you to achieve the desired self-fulfillment level.
Stop hesitation and wasting your time. Get everything together, take courses, participate in webinars, integrate into coaching communities, and build a powerful network to start your business.
Uteach is a platform that will help you easily host virtual coaching sessions while simultaneously building your full-featured online coaching business. It will allow you to build a website in less than a few minutes and have control over each aspect of your business (including payments, marketing, assessments, etc.) all from one place.